Thursday, October 18

Daily Reflection


Tell Me Something Beautiful:

Tell me that I will live forever.
Tell me we never die.
Tell me all people are truthful
And no one lies


Tell me that the dead bird in the street is sleeping
And that stray cat has a home
Tell me that no one is homeless
And we all have somewhere to go
Tell me the sun shines all day and all night
Tell me the trees don’t wither and die
Tell me there is no such thing as poverty
Tell me we all have equal rights
Tell me that cages are meant for animals
All inmates are set free tonight
Tell me the icons of beauty look just like me
Tell me that beauty is more than skin deep
Tell me their no despair in living
Tell me there is no need to fear
Tell me mother is still living and
My grandma is braiding her hair
Tell me I don’t have to pinch pennies
The lucky numbers are right here
Tell me I can afford shelter
For all my siblings to share
Tell me my brother is free
No longer moving for the fast things
Tell me lord that things will get better
Bring forth my enlightening

I haven’t written a poem in a while but as I sat on the train today I started to question two things; beauty and living. In questioning life I was able to see something beautiful within the good and bad. If things didn’t go south every now and again how would we know to appreciate when things go right? Sometimes life brings patches of darkness but it is our will and strength that will bring forth light. You have to believe that a change will come, and things will be better, because a run of bad fortune can’t be all that life has to offer. When things get bad close your eyes, envision what would make it better, take a deep inhale and as you exhale let out the negative POV and inhale a grander, positive prospective and all things will fall into place in due time.
Let me speak from experience; I am still on this bumpy journey and there are many days I move in darkness but there is an undying, never fearful, ultra-demanding part of me that will not allow myself to be nocturnal forever; and with that I believe that I will come upon the light. I warn you that I will not inhale negativity and if I must fight in the darkness for many years to come; at the end I will triumph. I may approach the light; bloody, bruised, and scared; on bended knees and with a bleeding heart but I will approach the light.